HJFMRI-T currently focuses specifically on four regions in the Southern Highlands Zone, namely Mbeya, Rukwa, Katavi, and Songwe. The program also supports TPDF to implement comprehensive HIV prevention care and treatment program in 21 sites throughout the country. Cover letters and resumes should be sent by mail through post/EMS/DHL/ or any reliable Courier to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, P.O. Box 6396, Mbeya or sent through e-mail to [email protected]
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is August 7th, 2020. Those who do not meet the minimum requirements, as detailed in the job description below, will not be considered. HJF Medical Research International, Inc. Tanzania (HJFMRI-T) is seeking qualified candidates to fill the positions below:
Report to: Laboratory Quality Assurance Advisor
The Biomedical Equipment Engineer has the responsibility to support patient diagnosis and treatment by installing; testing, calibrating, repairing biomedical laboratory and other equipment; training users, and maintaining the equipment’s safe operations. This position requires good knowledge and skills in medical equipment maintenance and competency in basic mechanical and electronic engineering practices. The Biomedical Equipment Technician will work as part of a team contributing to the goals and objectives of HJFMRI- T.
This position reports directly to the Laboratory Quality Assurance Advisor and requires up to 70% travel to remote health facilities in the Southern Highlands of Tanzania and TPDF sites.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform day to day maintenance, troubleshooting, and repairing medical laboratory and related equipment at supported sites in the Southern Highlands zone of Tanzania.
- Install and validate new biomedical equipment by carrying out the physical establishment, calibrations, and performance testing per the manufacturer’s guidelines.
- Prepare, execute, and document equipment preventive maintenance schedules following the manufacturer’s instructions and schedule special servicing where appropriate.
- Oversee the implementation of the equipment service contract in existence.
- Ensure proper biomedical equipment operation by providing equipment operation demonstrations, training, and instruction to other healthcare staff in the use and care of equipment.
- Participate in the evaluation of new biomedical equipment by providing technical support to the evaluation team.
- Improve biomedical equipment performance data required to inform the program for the various assessments and Public Health Evaluations.
- Work as the lead technical person for the establishment of the zonal medical laboratory equipment maintenance workshop
- Maintain biomedical equipment maintenance inventory by checking stock; anticipating needs; placing and expediting orders in collaboration with the logistics coordinator.
- Prepare routine and special biomedical reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information andtrends.
- Ensure a safe and healthy working environment by conducting safety tests on all the equipment, recommending and complying with procedures, training, and guiding medical and healthcare personnel on the safe operation and safety compliance regarding biomedical equipment.
- Adhere to strict confidentiality rules regarding patient information where access to such data is encountered in the process of performing these duties.
- Install, adjust, maintain, repair, or provide technical support for equipment installed in the program.
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment in the program together with records of their service.
- Train Laboratory personnel in all the regions on the proper use of laboratory equipment.
- Write quarterly reports on equipment use and utility in the program.
- Follow up on all items procured for equipment maintenance with the procurement and laboratory admin.
- Work closely with the Laboratory Advisor Quality Assurance to address any maintenance issues that arise.
- Organize relevant training of facility staff on equipment maintenance.
Knowledge and Qualification:
This position requires a person who is capable of working independently, fully understands and is committed to the provision of laboratory services in a public health setting as per host program practices and direction of the department supervisor.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or equivalent attainment with demonstrable technical knowledge of mechanics and electronics
- Technical Certification in the fields of practice preferred
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with biomedical equipment in a clinical engineering environment
- Complex computer skills required, including the ability to administrate a system, interpret error codes, defragment hard-drives, replace power supplies, interpret computer codes, and apply networking concepts
- Ability to integrate information from a variety of sources
- Frequently required to reach, pull, and employ excellent motor skills during the installation, service, and maintenance of medical equipment
- Have a good eye for design and attention to detail
- Frequently required to operate tools/machinery that uses hand and/or foot controls (drills, saws, electronic test equipment, etc.) when servicing medical equipment
- Good communication and team working skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong written, verbal, and presentational communication skills
HOW TO APPLY
NOTE: To be considered, applicants must put the TITLE OF THE JOB in the SUBJECT LINE. “CVs should not include any reference to marital status, birthplace, or tribal or religious affiliations. Any CVs containing this information will not be considered for employment”. Applications that are hand-delivered will not be accepted. The deadline for submitting the application is August 7th, 2020.