The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mbeya Medical Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mbeya within the Mbeya Zonal Referral Hospital Compound. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, NCDs as well as other diseases of public health importance.
On behalf of the Director General of the National Institute for Medical Research, the Centre Director of NIMR Mbeya is looking for the qualified, experienced and well- motivated personnel to fill the following vacant position whose duty station will be in Mbeya City.
Candidate shall assist in planning, directing, controlling of financial and accounting operations of the institute/centre.
The Assistant Accountant will report and work under the Head of Accounts and Finance Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
i. To maintain proper books of accounts and keeping of all records pertaining to income and expenditure as well as inventory of the Institute/centre;
ii. To prepare payrolls and ensuring all statutory deductions are done properly and their timely submission to appropriate authorities;
iii. To assist in preparation of statutory financial reports and attending audit queries;
iv. To timely prepare periodical financial and management accounts to guide decision making;
v. To timely prepare bank reconciliation statement and submission for approval;
vi. To ensure that all transactions are processed and properly accounted through the accounting system and comply with financial regulations and or any other generally acceptable accounting practices for management of public and donor funds;
vii. To update and maintain a fixed assets and inventory registers for the institute/ centre;
viii. To review all travel requisitions and imprest retirement for approval and posting to the accounting system;
ix. To participate in annual stock taking of the institute/centre inventory;
x. To take part in preparation of budget and various analysis;
xi. To ensure that a sound and effective internal control system is adhered to; and
xii. Any other related duties that will be assigned to him/her by his/her superior from time to time.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES:
• Holder of Advanced Diploma in Accountancy or first degree B.COM Accounting or its equivalent from recognized institution;
• A minimum of one year working experience in the same field, including experience in donor funded projects;
• Must have an experience working with QuickBooks/Vote-book or similar Accounting software;
• Good interpersonal & communication skills;
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize time appropriately and effectively;
• Self-motivated; able to work independently under minimal supervision to complete tasks and respond to appropriate project authority requests and to collaborate with others;
• A team player with a strong organization, planning with ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet requirements and deadlines;
• The applicant should be a Tanzanian below 45 years old.
One-year employment contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
The successful candidate will be based at NIMR-Mbeya, Mbeya City.
A competitive salary will be offered as per Government of Tanzania Regulations.
MODE OF APPLICATION
All applications should be enclosed with certified photocopies of relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are required to submit their applications not later than two weeks after the first appearance (see the date above) of this advertisement to the address below. Applicants are also reminded to indicate all contact information necessary with which information can reach them easily. Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. In case you do not hear from us in two weeks’ time after the closing date consider yourself unsuccessful.
The Centre Director,
NIMR – Mbeya Medical Research Centre,
P.O. Box 2410, Mbeya, Tanzania.