Position: Advocacy and Communication Manager
Directly Reports To: Country Director
Contract Duration: 12 Months
Start date: As soon as possible
Dead line: 6 th May 2022
Location: Dar es Salam/ Dodoma, Tanzania
Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in seven countries: Kenya, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda, Ethiopia, Haiti., Zambia and Somalia. Action Against Hunger-USA has approximately 1,500 staff based in the various country offices, Head Quarter in New York City and Operational Centre in Nairobi. Additional growth is anticipated.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Advocacy and Communication Manager will be responsible for strategically and technically leading and supporting the Communications and advocacy work to expand Action against Hunger’s communication and advocacy reach across Tanzania. He/she will align and streamline internal communication and advocacy efforts across the organization through representing Action Against Hunger and coordinating communication and advocacy activities.
The purpose of this position it to provide communication support to the implementation of various projects within Tanzania and to drive and coordinate advocacy and engagement structures at local and national level to promote Action Against Hunger’s work for greater impact.
The Advocacy and Communication Manager will focus on strategic partnerships and relationship building with other actors on fighting hunger and malnutrition with key stakeholders in the government institutions, donor community, UN Agencies, like-minded NGOs and private sector. In addition, He/She will position Country Office with key audiences and ensure Action Against Hunger technical leadership remains top of mind in the country. Collaborates with other country office units, networks so as to develop and deliver communication capacity building activities and conduct orientation activities on advocacy integration.
Develop and implement communication and advocacy plans and activities for country office projects including products (presentations, fact sheets, policy briefs, documentation of case studies and success stories, videography and manage all online content for both internal and external use.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Advocacy Capacity Development
- Facilitate technical assistance and training on advocacy and communication to Action Against Hunger Tanzania staff and partner organizations
- Technically lead development of field advocacy action plans
- Motivate and engage peers to share ideas and engage with the advocacy agenda
- Lead events and creatively communicate our role in program responses, enabling the exploitation of all media opportunities (including, mainstream media, new media and online opportunities such as blogging and social media influencers)
- Provide Action Against Hunger’s brand management and communications quality control in the country and ensure staff understand and adhere to communications guidelines and protocols
- Coordinate production of a diverse range of information products including audio/visual communications, when needed to achieve specific, program, policy and advocacy goals.
- Organize external meetings and events, including ensuring effective preparation for, scheduling, tracking and follow up.
- Lead Action Against Hunger’s efforts to policies, promote social protection and nutrition financing in international development.
- Build and maintain relationships with Governments, Parliamentarians, policy and decision makers relevant to delivering advocacy objectives.
- Providing strategic communications counsel to staff
- Developing and managing organization’s visual brand and messaging
- Developing communication channels and materials
- Planning and implementing coordinated campaigns that achieve results on time and within budget
- Writing fundraising-related content to inspire donations and communicate the impact of support given;
- Planning and creating messaging and collateral to support programs and partnership development and management
- Pitching story ideas and securing coverage in regional, national, international and industry media
- Document program promising practices, success stories and lessons learnt and share them with donors and key partners
- Support the learning event and support the implementation of the actionable points
- Track results of policy and advocacy initiatives at the output and outcome levels.
- Support in ensuring organizational policy and advocacy systems and processes are robust, effective and sustainable.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual communication and advocacy reports
There is no staff reporting directly to this position.
Budgeting of communication and advocacy related activities/interventions and ensure implementation of these activities within budget, scope and time.
- To travel to the field, the employee must attest to a level of physical fitness capable of enduring physically difficult, highly stressful situations, which may include the necessity to walk long distances, to eat a limited diet and/or to reside in potentially uncomfortable housing or tents.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WORKING CONDITIONS, TRAVEL AND ENVIRONMENT
- The duties of the job require regular job attendance at least five days per week. Must be available to work outside normal office hours or on the weekends as required.
- Must be able to travel as required for standard domestic and international business purposes. While performing the duties of this job in the field, the employee may be exposed to precarious settings under high security risks and/or very basic living conditions and outside weather conditions, as well as infectious diseases.
GENDER EQUALITY COMMITMENTS & ZERO TOLERANCE TO ABUSE
- Foster environment that supports values of women and men, and equal access to information.
- Provide a work environment where women and men must be evaluated and promoted based on their skills and performance
- Respect beneficiaries’ women, men, boys and girls regardless of gender, sex orientation, disability, religion, race, color, ancestry, national origin, age or marital status,
- Value and respect all cultures.
- Promote and uphold the PSEA policy and procedures.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication related Course (e.g. in PR, external communication, Journalism) or other Social Sciences related discipline.
- Minimum 4 years work experience in a Communication role or a role that involves Advocacy for an NGO with experience in program or project design.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong Relationship building skills, ability to engage and inspire others
- Experience in successful communication and advocacy work, preferably in international development, with preference for those that have professional experience working in Africa.
- Strong understanding of current lobbying and policy development landscape.
- Recognized capacity in translating complex information in a compelling and accessible way for non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop analytical evidence-based policy papers and reports.
- Excellent English language skills. Swahili speaking is a plus.
- Ability to provide or recommend solutions to problems; show flexibility to assume additional responsibilities
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including the presence to deal effectively with diverse constituencies including senior management
- Ability to work and contribute positively in a team.
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger’s work and values.
- Editing content and writing publications including monthly newsletters, articles and the annual report
- Developing organic social media and website content including blogs, moderating social media communities, media strategies and press releases and managing media relationships
- Working with staff in country programs to collect stories, case studies, photos and videos
Applicants should apply through: [email protected]