3 Laboratory Technologist
Jobs at:National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR)
Deadline of this Job:
13 September 2021
Within Tanzania , Mwanza , East Africa
Date Posted: Monday, August 30, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Job title: 3 Laboratory Technologist
The National Institute for Medical Research (NIMR) is a Parastatal Organization established by an Act of Parliament No. 23 of 1979 (CAP.59, R.E.2002) and became operational in 1980. NIMR-Mwanza Research Centre (MMRC) is one of the NIMR Centers located in Mwanza. The Centre is currently conducting research on HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, non-communicable diseases (NCDs) as well as other diseases of public health importance. On behalf of the Director General of the National Institute for Medical Research, the Centre Director of NIMR Mwanza is looking for the qualified, experienced and well-motivated personnel to fill the following vacant positions in the Long-term health after Severe Acute Malnutrition in children and adults: the role of the Pancreas (SAMPA) study. SAMPA is a longitudinal study investigating the links between undernutrition and future diabetes risk and will be based in Mwanza city.
Candidate shall be responsible for carrying out laboratory procedures according to the laboratory Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), study protocols, national and international standards.
REPORTING: The Laboratory Technologist will report and work under the Head of Laboratory Sciences Department.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. To assist in routine Laboratory research studies;
2. To collect samples and perform laboratory tests;
3. To assist superiors in conducting diagnostic tests;
4. To preserve samples to be analyzed in the laboratory;
5. To perform a variety of technical laboratory procedures according to the study protocol as well as national and international standards;
6. To prepare reagents and upkeep of laboratory equipment;
7. To assist keeping records for Laboratory investigations;
8. To comply with laboratory safety procedures, possessing adequate knowledge of instrumentation, theory, and application of new and existing tests;
9. To perform preventative maintenance procedures in laboratory instrumentation; and to perform other relevant duties as may be assigned by the
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCES:
1. A Holder of Diploma or higher qualifications in one of the following field: Medical Laboratory Sciences, Laboratory Science and Technology, Health Laboratory Technology or equivalent qualifications from a recognized institution;
2. The candidate must be registered by Health Laboratory Practitioners Council;
3. Working experience will be an added advantage but not a prerequisite
4. Strong language skills fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili;
5. Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize time appropriately and effectively;
6. Self-motivated; able to work independently under minimal supervision to complete tasks and respond to appropriate project authority requests and to collaborate with others;
7. A team player with a strong organization, planning with ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet requirements and deadlines;
8. The applicant should be a Tanzanian below 45 years
• Up to one-year employment contract which may be renewed on the basis of performance and mutual agreement.
• The successful candidate will be based at NIMR-Mwanza, Mwanza City.
• A competitive salary will be offered as per Government of Tanzania’s Salary Scale.
Education Requirement: No Requirements
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
All applications should be enclosed with certified photocopies of relevant certificates and detailed curriculum vitae. Applicants are required to submit their applications not later than 13th September 2021 of this advertisement to the address below. Applicants are also reminded to indicate all contact information necessary with which information can reach them easily.
The Centre Director,
NIMR, Mwanza Research Centre,
P.O. Box 1462,
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified. In case you do not hear from us in two weeks’ time after the closing date consider yourself unsuccessful.