ABOUT GEITA GOLD MINING LTD
Geita Gold Mining Ltd (GGML) is Tanzania’s leading gold producer with a single operation in Geita Region. The company is a subsidiary of AngloGold Ashanti, an international gold producer headquartered in South Africa, with operations in more than ten countries, in four continents. The mine is situated in the Lake Victoria Gold fields of North Western Tanzania, only about 85 km’s from Mwanza City and 20 km’s South East of the nearest point of Lake Victoria. The company has its head office in Geita, only 5 Km’s west of the fast-growing town of Geita, and also a supporting office in Dar es Salaam. Applications are invited from ambitious, energetic and performance driven individuals to fill in vacant position(s) mentioned below:
Position: Specialist – Underground Mine Production
Contract type & Duration: Unspecified time
Department: Underground Mining
Reporting to: Senior Manager Underground Mining
Number of Positions: Two (2)
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The purpose of the role is to support, develop and train an effective local team capable of delivering industry leading practices within an underground mine environment, particularly underground mine production activities related to planning & technical support functions.
- Tertiary qualifications in Mining.
- Bachelor’s Degree in mining engineering, a College Diploma in Mineral Technology or other related field, relevant experience may be considered equivalent.
- Competent to fulfil the statutory role as Explosives Licence holder.
- Demonstrated experience in an underground mining environment.
- Proven track record of managing and leading large teams.
- 10+ years' proven experience in mine production in underground mining environment of which at least three (3) years is at technical level within a production department.
- Experience working with International UG mining contractors who operate underground mechanized trackless equipment will be highly regarded.
- Proven experience and ability to create and manage budgets for a UG operation.
- High skill level with UG mine planning experience.
- Solid understanding of Underground mining operations.
- Good experience of working with managing a diverse team.
- Hands on approach and service orientated outlook.
- Developing/Stopping Charging Explosive experience is highly desirable.
MAIN OR KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Safety & Environment
- Execute AGA Safety practices required for the task.
- Identify, understand, and address safety hazards and risks related to the task.
- Determine what could go wrong and what needs to be done to work safely before starting a task and help others to work safely.
- Continually look for new hazards in the workplace and report them to Supervisor.
- Demonstrate work behaviors consistent with the company Safety Vision & Values and work within prescribed boundaries.
- Promptly report all injuries, illnesses, and incidents.
- Suggest ways of improving Safety performance within Mining department.
- Speak up if he/she thinks that the task cannot be done safely and courage to talk to Supervisor he/she thinks of being unable to work at his/her best.
- Establish and maintain processes to ensure that all environmental risks and emerging issues are identified and mitigation plans to put in place
Training & Skills Transfer
- Identify and develop emerging talents within a multi-discipline team.
- Build and lead the Operation Mining support teams and assist in the development of local.
- Provide specialist support in key processes and systems to drive the best performance from all team members.
- Analyse and Identify key skills & knowledge required by all team members in order to carry out their roles effectively and safely.
Technical / Production/Development.
- Demonstrate advanced application of Underground Mining Production Processes & Practices.
- Provide specialist support in key underground mining processes and performance optimisation.
- Establish and maintain processes to ensure the technical aspects of the operations which include mine planning, survey, fleet management, drill & blast, and have the required resources in place to support the mining operations.
- Demonstrate advanced application of principles of underground mine design including production and development using highly mechanised underground trackless equipment, ventilation systems, production techniques.
- Work to support underground development, production management, surveying, geology, and contract management.
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of appropriate underground geotechnical evaluation methods.
- Advise the best practice drilling & blasting techniques to reduce blast damage and dilution in an underground mine environment.
- Proactively identify impacts, issues and opportunities associated with changes in other disciplines/ process (and vice versa).
- Lead minor to medium projects and interact with test work and engineering consultant service providers
Cost Management & Continuous Improvement.
- Identify areas for improvement in operational blueprints (systems, processes, procedures & tasks) to ensure adherence to plan, reduce variation and maximize cost effective utilization
- Interpret data to initiate and drive the operational improvements as required.
- Use cost-benefit thinking to set priorities and identify cost-effective approaches.
- Actively look for ways to manage costs without impacting on planned outcomes using the OE approach.
- Provide support in generating annual mine budget that link into ore reserve calculations.
- Establish and maintain processes to ensure the development of optimised short term, medium- and long-term plans that ensure delivery of the budget requirements and the operations strategy.
- Generate innovative solutions, which continuously improve the performance of existing assets, products, services, or processes.
- 1 to 2 years’ experience working with the P500 and Operational Excellence (OE) initiatives or equivalent.
- Worked in highly mechanised Underground operations.
- Advanced knowledge in contract management practices, technical consultants, and operational mining contracts.
- Advanced understanding of project management standards and has applied them in a minor - medium project to conceptual level.
- Demonstrate advance level of knowledge of planning systems and practices from long term to short term mine planning.
- The ability to work across all disciplines, where rigorous engagement and interaction is expected.
- The ability to handle conflict resolution.
- The ability to utilise equipment, office software -MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint) to prepare correspondence, reports, forms, mailings.
- The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing with good presentation and facilitation skills.
- The ability to use statistical methods to analyse, validate & verify analytical data with a strong attention to detail.
- The ability to work and communicate with people at all levels/good interpersonal skills.
MODE OF APPLICATION:
- Please apply through our recruitment portal by clicking the "APPLY" button below.
- On the portal you will be required to upload your detailed CV, copies of relevant certificates, e- mail and telephone contacts, names and addresses of three referees. Please do not attach certificates that are not related to the qualifications stated above.
- You will also be required to upload a cover / application letter addressed to “Senior Manager Human Resources’’ Geita Gold Mining Ltd”. Subject should be “ Specialist – Underground Mine Production”
- You will be required to present original certificates if you are contacted for interviews.
- Internal Applicants (those currently employed by AngloGold Ashanti) must have their application letter endorsed by their Head of Department (HOD) or Manager once Removed (MoR).
- Applications should reach the above on or before 17th September 2021 at 5:30 Pm
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! GGML does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to our Security Department, Investigation Unit, by calling +255 28 216 01 40 Ext 1559 (rates apply) or use our whistle-blowing channels by sending an SMS to +27 73 573 8075 (SMS rates apply) or emailing [email protected] or use the internet at www.tip-offs.com