Interpreter/Translator - Portuguese
Jobs at:African Union
Deadline of this Job:
28 March 2022
Within Tanzania , Arusha , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2022 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Be responsible for the Interpretation at sessions and meetings of the Court as well as for translation of the documents of the Court from English or French into Portuguese.
• Under the overall supervision of the Registrar of the Court, and under the direct supervision of the Deputy Registrar, the Interpreter/Translator – Portuguese will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
• provide proper, clear, faithful interpretation from English or French into Portuguese during sessions and meetings of the Court using the standard, clear and accurate language;
• translate properly documents, primarily from English language or French language into Portuguese, ensuring the highest standard of accuracy, and maintaining the spirit, context, quality, technical language and nuances of the original version, using precise, clear and proper terminology;
• To do this work, the Interpreter/Translator (Portuguese) shall:
• check appropriate references to ensure exact understanding and use of AU technical terminologies;
• consult colleagues, authors of texts, and specialized technical dictionaries/ glossaries, data banks …;
• keep abreast with developments in the language field, both in the source and target languages, by compiling and regularly up-dating specific terminologies, phrases, lexicons, acronyms and special expressions in order to widen the stock of vocabulary with the aim of enhancing skills and ability;
• Help develop terminology/lexicons of the AU;
• provide consecutive interpretation, when required, during audiences and of statements at conferences, meetings, discussions, etc;
• perform any other duty as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Applicants must have:
• Education qualification
• University degree in Languages, Humanities or related discipline
• A professional qualification from a recognized interpreters/translators school.
• Work experience
• Minimum of eight (8) years of progressively relevant experience in interpretation and translation.
• Experience in working with legal documents is highly desirable.
• Required skills and knowledge
• Demonstrate leadership abilities and professionalism
• Concentration, accuracy, and working under minimum supervision
• Respect for confidentiality and good public relations;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and work under pressure in a multi-cultural environment;
• Mastery of Computer Assisted Translation (CAT) Tools (TRADOS)
• Good communication and planning skills
• Excellent knowledge of international organizations;
• Computer literacy, including formatting of documents.
• An excellent command of the Portuguese and English languages or French language. Knowledge of any of the other AU languages will be an added advantage.
• Leadership Competencies
• Strategic Perspective
• Developing Others
• Driving Change
• Managing Risk
• Core Competencies
• Building Relationships
• Learning Orientation
• Communicating with impact
• Functional Competencies
• Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
• Job Knowledge
• Drive for Results
• Innovation and taking initiative
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 96
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
To apply follow this link https://jobs.au.int/job/Tanzania-InterpreterTranslator-Portuguese/742284602/#