POSITION: Distribution Intern (Multiple)
Type: Internship – September to December 2021, Full time
Ubongo is a non-profit social enterprise that creates and distributes fun, localized educational content that helps kids learn, and leverage their learning to change their lives. Ubongo reaches over 24.6 million families with Ubongo Kids and Akili and Me across Africa through accessible technologies like TV, radio, and mobile phones. One of Ubongo’s goals is to reach 1 million underserved kids in 2021 who are unreachable via broadcast.
We are looking for multiple ‘Distribution Interns’ to boost our efforts to reach kids and families in underserved communities in Tanzania (places we don’t reach via TV and radio) with our content.
This role is perfect for someone with a ‘figure-it-out’ attitude, working in the field requires you to be able to think on your feet. The role will involve traveling across different communities in the region of Tanzania you live in to distribute Ubongo Toolkits via USBs, CDs, printables, and other technologies used by the local community. The ideal candidate will be someone with great communication and people skills and can connect with different groups of people like parents, local shopkeepers, religious leaders, and community radio station owners.
1. Distribute content to off-grid communities
- Visit various centers to share Ubongo content via USBs, CDs, printables etc
- Continuously be on the lookout for new ways to reach the most underserved kids
- Gather and share lessons from the field with regard to what does and doesn’t work when sharing content with off-grid communities
- Document lessons daily and share feedback weekly in the form of presentations.
2. Reach 50,000 children in underserved communities in Tanzania with Ubongo content by December 2021
- Visit multiple locations on the ground to distribute Ubongo content area wise
- Create a distribution plan by breaking down geographic and demographic areas to target systematically
- Identify places (app installation stalls/local cinemas/any other relevant locations) and ‘supply chains’ where content can be shared
- Travel across the region of Tanzania you are located in to figure out distribution channels and build networks and partnerships to distribute the content to kids
- Maintain a complete record of areas visited including contacts and medium used to distribute content to get information on how the content is used and distributed.
TO BE A MATCH, YOU’LL NEED TO BE:
- Live in one of the regions mentioned above
- Speak English and Swahili
- Good communication skills acknowledging different cultural contexts
- Willing to do more with less
- Ability to travel
- Able to keep clear and concise reports
- A tech all-rounder – able to do things like sideload apps, convert video and audio files to different formats, troubleshoot problems
- Own a smartphone
- Able to drive motorcycle – highly preferred, but not required (lol)
Please note that only applicants who apply using this online form will be considered. Those who come directly to the office with a CV or who email their CV to us will simply be referred back to this online form. And, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.