Nonprofit, and NGO
World-Wide Fund for Nature
Deadline of this Job:
05 November 2021
Dar es Salaam
Friday, October 22, 2021
, Base Salary:
Wildlife Species Expert
WWF (The World-Wide Fund for Nature) is an international non-governmental organization that deals with conservation of nature. Our mission is to stop the degradation of the Planet’s natural environment and to build a future in which human live in harmony with nature.
WWF Tanzania Country Office is seeking to hire an experienced and motivated individual for a position of Wildlife Species Expert to be based in Masasi to provide vision, content, and leadership to drive the development of high impact wildlife conservation and species protection efforts.
ROLE AND MAJOR FUNCTIONS
WWF has deep roots in Tanzania and is respected for its longstanding experience, knowledge, and programs as a leader in wildlife conservation. The Wildlife Species Expert will have the ability and motivation to harness WWF’s considerable strengths and draw from the global approaches, tools, and resources WWF can bring to the wildlife conservation challenges Tanzania is facing (including TRAFFIC, the Wildlife Crime Initiative, the zero-poaching framework, leadership in community-based conservation, and trans-boundary reach of WWF). The successful candidate will bring strategic leadership in developing WWF’s wildlife conservation efforts and positioning the organization to deliver significant conservation impacts. Key functional areas for this position are:
• Strategic Planning, Research, and Monitoring: Informing and influencing the targeted wildlife species conservation and management strategies, plans, policies, and resource flows of targeted partners and stakeholders – including NGOs, government, and international cooperation agencies. Identifying needs and gaps for wildlife research and monitoring, and marshalling resources to address them as well as documenting the publications in peer reviewed papers. (Lead role.)
• Law Enforcement and Anti-Poaching: Strengthening law enforcement and anti-poaching activities of key partners and stakeholders by bringing support for improved surveillance, inspections, transboundary collaboration, judicial action, and intelligence. (Lead role.)
• Community Based Natural Resource Management: Scaling up community-based approaches to wildlife and forest management to empower communities as managers and beneficiaries of wildlife and resource stewardship and to reduce degradation of critical habitats. The position will contribute through technical guidance on wildlife management and species protection to WWF colleagues and partners working on community-based resource management. (Contributing role.)
• Trafficking and Demand Reduction: Engaging with the WWF Network and external partners on reducing demand for ivory and other illegal wildlife products through market led approaches, public awareness campaigning, advocacy, and enhanced international cooperation. The position will contribute to this work by sharing lessons, research, and experience from Tanzania, and through coordination with TRAFFIC and the WWF Global Wildlife Practice. (Contributing role).
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
• High level expertise and practical experience in wildlife management and conservation.
• MSc in Wildlife management at a minimum, and a PhD as an added advantage.
• At least 10 years’ experience in any of the following areas – Protected Areas management, Wildlife research and monitoring, Capacity building of wildlife stewards.
• Practical experience in wildlife species conservation and management with priority on Black Rhino, Lions and Wild Dogs
• On the ground working experience on wildlife management in Ruvuma Landscape.
• Experience working on wildlife policy advocacy and addressing wildlife crime issues in Tanzania.
• Ability to design and manage wildlife species conservation programs.
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
Additional information, including Terms of Reference, can be obtained via
Applications must include a complete Cover Letter & CV with full contact details of three referees and should be addressed to the People & Culture Manager through
by Friday, 05th November 2021 at 4:30 pm. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted and the interviews will take place in Dar es Salaam or via zoom video conferencing.
Overview Job Category: Administrative Job Type: Full-Time Deadline of this Job: 10 December 2021 Duty Station: Dar es Salaam Posted: 11-11-2021 Requirements Job Description Vacancy title: Senior technical and program…
Introduction We are looking for an experienced, driven Agriculture Engineer with construction experience. To ensure success, the ideal candidate should be comfortable splitting their hours between the office, on-site visits…
Handeni Mjini Tanga Details Description Job Overview; The Admin Officer will play a vital role in ensuring that the Director receives the support required to ensure efficient operations, in particular…