ANSAF is an acronym for Agricultural Non State Actors Forum. It was formed in 2006 by members from the Private Sector and Civil Society Organizations working in the agricultural sector in Tanzania. The impetus for the formation of ANSAF was demand driven. The forum’s objectives are first; is to advocate for a pro-poor and conducive agriculture policy environment where Civil Society Organizations and the private sector effectively engage with and influence agriculture sector policies and practices. Secondly; to effectively analyze the existing agriculture policies and suggest alternative views/directions. The third main objective is to provide a platform for learning, sharing, networking and coalition building around best practices and key issues in the agriculture sector.
Reports to: Head of Operations
Job Location: Dar-es-Salaam
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Carry out value chain analysis and research to generate evidence including preparation of policy briefs, facts sheets and case studies for advocacy interventions
• Take lead in formation and strengthening of value chain multi-stakeholders’ platforms
• Organize and facilitate strategic meetings and workshops to advocate for improved policy and business environment
• Facilitate dialogues between small holder farmers, Cooperatives and decision makers at district, regional and national level
• Proactively participate in the value chain policy related dialogue involving ANSAF members, other stakeholders like development partners, government officials, parliamentarians’, small holder producers, private sector and CSOs
• Facilitate roundtable discussion including breakfast meetings with government officials, MPs and CSOs on relevant value chain issues.
• Maintain up to date information/ data on marketing and policy intervention recent trend & produce statement. Develop a data-base on website using GIS for specific value chains of interest
• Develop good working relationship with peer organizations and ANSAF members, identify capacity gaps and link them with support initiatives; and strengthen network and alliance for advocacy work
• Evaluate policy options from an independent and objective viewpoint that takes into consideration the needs of SHPs and SMEs working in value chain products processing
• In collaboration with Policy, Research and Budget analysis Specialist and Media and
Communication officer, develop policy briefs regarding the development of value chains in Tanzania. Also collaborate with Policy, Research and Budget analysis Specialist in related public outreach events, relevant to the value chains industry and agribusiness in general. Produce statements, press releases, position papers and ensure production of key policies in a user-friendly manner for grass root level
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, Economics, rural development, or related fields required;
Master’s degree preferred.
• Minimum five years of experience managing or advising private sector, value chain, or business development projects using the value chain or market solutions approach. Experience working donor projects preferred. Additional experience in the private sector experience desired.
• Experience conducting value chain assessments and determining appropriate interventions to enhance agricultural productivity and market access for the rural poor. Experience in farm and firm level production cost and profit analysis desired.
• Demonstrated experience working with remote subsistence-oriented rural communities.
• Demonstrated capacity to work collegially with government, private sector and other partner organizations and effectively manage partner relationships.
• Experience in capacity building, including training and on-the-job mentoring of national staff.
• Experience in developing programs aimed at upgrading agricultural value chains through enhanced private sector engagement. Experience in developing PPPs and other private sector alliances.
• Experience in developing and managing agricultural training courses and events, especially capacity building activities in support of local agriculturally focused NGOs and CBOs. Experience in setting up demonstration sites in situ desired.
• Demonstrated leadership, versatility and integrity. Strong written and oral communications skills in English required.
• Demonstrated commitment to gender equality principles.
• Strong oral and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in English, spoken and written
How to Apply
Interested individuals should submit their applications with the following
1. Application letter explaining why you think you qualify for this post
2. Current CV, indicating relevant experience based on previous tasks; and skills that you are bringing into the organization
3. Please do not attach any copies of certificates
All applications should be submitted through Brighter Monday
Note: Deadline for submission is 05th June 2020
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Provide technical expertise and lead evidence-based advocacy interventions on selected value chains, coordinate multi-stakeholder platforms and champion value chain development, market linkages, public and private sector engagement and local partners capacity building.