Reporting to: Technical Director
The Agriculture Markets Development Trust (AMDT) has been established by the Governments of Denmark, Ireland, Sweden and Switzerland in 2014 and the current Trustee is KPMG. The Trust has been established as a long term facility with the overall objective of increasing incomes and employment opportunities for poor women, men, and young people in Tanzania. With a strong pro-poor focus, the Trust works with the Private Sector, Government and Civil Society Organisations to promote the making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P)/Market Systems Development (MSD) approach that stimulates changes to market systems leading to broad and sustained impact on the lives of smallholder farmers as well as competitiveness of agricultural MSMEs. AMDT achieves this by investing, together with market actors, in interventions that are: (i) based on diagnosed constraints and pro-poor opportunities, (ii) are well coordinated to enhance the leveraging of investments and resources targeting similar outcomes, (iii) stimulate the development of inclusive, competitive, and resilient agricultural market systems, leading to sustained benefits and impacts for the productive poor.
In order to improve its ongoing interventions in the country, AMDT is now seeking qualified Tanzanian candidates to fill new vacant full-time positions. Brief descriptions and qualification requirements for the open positions are outlined below.
• Using the M4P as a development approach, conduct and manage analytical work on the sector, sub sector (value chains), and the supporting services and industries needed for the systemic transformation of the sub sector.
• Together with the management team, design implementable and pro-poor sector growth strategies which seemlessly intergrates, gender, youth and climate change;
• Design key performance indicators, monitor and evaluate implementation of strategic interventions with partners, and their resultant outcomes and get approval of the same from the Trust’s management team;
• Manage a portfolio of agricultural, industrial and service sector interventions to generate pro-poor growth in a sustainable and most effective and efficient manner across the country;
• Screen project proposals and manage partnerships with key stakeholders in the value chain. This will include systemic analysis of value for money for every activity or intervention proposed before submiting the same to the Senior Management Team and other governance bodies of the Trust;
• Analyse, prioritize and manage capacity building initiatives for partner organizations (Market Facilitators, Market Actors and other support and regulatory institutions);
• Professionally manage consultants, program officers, assistants, interns or staff under your supervision (within your domain) by providing clear TORs, guidance and clarifications;
• Manage project partners working with AMDT. This will entail detailed planning, follow up, monitoring and reporting to ensure that all interventions follow the agreed plans, budgets and timelines and achieves the intended outputs and outcomes;
• Closely work with the Results Measurement Unit teams to ensure that information coming from the partners under your domain are of high quality, provides relevant monitoring data that can be analysed to provide required information, learning and are scalable;
• Develop terms of references, oversee and provide guidance to consultants or other supporting staff within your domain;
• Routinely make summary update report on the subsector/thematic area to the Senior Management Team so as to provide broad overview of the changes taking place within the subsector;
• Once every month, participate and make presentation, contribute in discussions to the Systems Management Team meeting;
• Provide a written summary report on the progress of the theme/sub sector every month and quarter;
• Participates in the development of Trusts Annual Business Plan (Operational plan) and Annual Report by providing relevent information regarding current year performance and future plans for the subsector/theme s/he is responsible for;
• Represents AMDT in various meetings, events, workshops, conferences as may be approved from time to time by the Technical Director;
• Continuously identify relevant National Development Strategies, policies, guidelines and design interventions that are aligned with them so as to make AMDT be relevant in the broader National Development Goals;
• From time to time take stock of potential strategic partners in the private, public and development sector to trigger innovative business models and practices to reduce constraints and unlock growth potential in a systemic and sustainable manner;
• Inculcate a culture of continuous learning and honest inquiry in relation to the understanding of market development; and
• Perform other tasks related to the sub sector/theme systems as may assigned by the Technical Director.
The successful candidate will need to possess the following key competencies:
• Excellent theoretical knowledge and practical application of the M4P as development approach, including market systems analysis, sector strategy creation, intervention design, market systems facilitation, and all the related monitoring and measurement of results;
• A proven ability to constructively engage with the private and public sector and manage partnerships, enable delivery of envisaged outcomes, and establish sustained capacity to support key market functions going forward;
• Good understanding and experience in intergrating Gender, Youth and Climate Change in program designs and project cycle management;
• Excellent eye on investment analysis including Value for Money;
• Experience in leading, managing and mentoring teams;
• Good knowledge of policy issues relating to business enabling environments (BEE), private sector led growth/ development;
• Experience in Agricultural Projects/Program Management;
• Must demonstrate ability to proactively manage delivery risks in development programmes;
• Ability to articulate issues, prepare and make presentations to high level audience;
• Strong hands on experience in research and analysis;
• Solid experience in monitoring and evaluation;
• Evidence of strong communication, writing, numeracy, analysis and networking skills.
• Ability to tap into international networks related to private sector development.
• Must demonstrate strong ability in working with diverse team; and
• Has to be of unquestionable integrity.
• Degree in Developmental Economics, Agricultural Economics, Agri-business, Business Administration or related field. An advanced degree will be an advantage.
• A minimum of least 10 years of relevant working experience of which 3 years should be in a senior leadership role; Experience in both the public and private sector would be a plus; and a good mix of local and international experience will be an added advantage;
• Deep knowledge or work experience in agricultural value chains with large numbers of producers and MSMEs in Tanzania is a prerequisite.
To be considered for any position, an applicant must submit her/his CV (5 Pages Maximum), a capability statement letter that provides details of the applicant's specific qualifications for the position (2 pages Maximum), and a copy of degree certificates only. All applications to be send to: [email removed] and must be received on 18th August 2020 not later than 16.00 hrs EA time.
In the subject line of the email, write the title of the position for which you are applying. Applications that do not follow these instructions, or that do not meet the stated minimum qualification requirements will not be considered. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interview. AMDT is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women to apply.
This is a key position within AMDT. The Market Development Analyst will be responsible for championing the M4P approach through quality of market systems development analyses, interventions designs and timely reporting of results in the selected value chains. S/he has the responsibility of managing projects partners and will also assist in ensuring correct utilization of project funds, appropriate knowledge outputs from this work to deepen the understanding of how market development work, as well as enhancing stakeholders' efforts on coordination so as to maximize benefits from interventions and investments in selected agricultural market systems.