Jobs at:World Vegetable Center
Deadline of this Job:
31 July 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The World Vegetable Center is a non-profit, autonomous international agricultural research center with headquarters in Taiwan and five regional offices around the globe. The World Vegetable Center conducts research and development programs that contribute to realizingthe potential of vegetables for healthier lives and more resilient livelihoods. For more information, please visit our website: www.worldveg.org
The World Vegetable Center seeks a highly experienced individual to develop communication strategies, design and deliver effective communications to promote the project’s activities entitled “Veggies for Planet & People” (V4P&P) among relevant stakeholders through various media and materials.ln addition, the Communications Officer will also carry out communications activities for the World Vegetable j CenterRegional Office in Eastern and Southern Africa.
The Veggies for Planet & People project, launched in 2020, is funded by the IKEA Foundation. The project aims to establish j 200 vegetable business networks (120 in Kenya, 80 in Ethiopia) to engage an estimated 4000 women and youth in vegetable market activities designed to improve their livelihoods and create jobs. Project “business champions “will j guide the formation of Vegetable Business Networks (VPNs) of women and youth as they pursue collective action in vegetable production and marketing in urban and peri-urban areas. The champions will facilitate their networks’ access to information, training, financial or other services, and j input/output markets and serve as liaisons with local j governments. The project emphasizes regenerative agricultural technologies to nourish the soil and reduce or j eliminate chemicals, fertilizers, and pesticides.
The Communications Officer will promote knowledge, understanding, and coverage of horticulture for development j in the project countries and build awareness and interest in j the activities, outcomes, and work of the World Vegetable Center throughout the region. The position will be based at the World Vegetable Center Regional Office for Eastern and Southern Africa in Arusha, Tanzania.
Key job responsibilities:
• With the Project Manager, implement the communication strategy for the Veggies for Planet & People projectin Kenya and Ethiopia. This may need some travel to the project locations in Kenya and Ethiopia’.
• Oversee project documentation and public visibility.
• Develop and disseminate project-related information to partners and stakeholders, including a regular ‘news roundup’ email.
• Contribute stories to Fresh, the Center’s bimonthly newsletter, and posts for the Center’s website, Facebook page, and other social media.
• Document project activities by taking photos and video or coordinate with contractors that provide these services.
• Compile and maintain a database of media and project contacts.
• Serve as press liaison with key organizations, journalists, and correspondents; track press inquiries.
• Coordinate special events and forums with the project team.
• Prepare internal reports as required on project activities.
• Liaise with Communications Specialists in partner organizations.
• Handle media work and related services for the regional office as directed by the World Vegetable Center Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Director.
• Work with the Director of Communications to implement the Center’s overall communications strategy in the region, mainly through planning activities.
• Master’s degree in Public Relations, Mass Communication, Journalism, or related field.
• Strong communication skills in Englishand Kiswahili.
• Experience in media relations.
• Excellent writing skills. Must be able to communicate complex information in a lively, accurate, and readable manner in various formats, including press releases, magazine articles, newsletters, websites, and social media, targeted at various audiences.
• Ability to reliably organize work, manage time, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills, including networking, tact, and diplomacy.
• Experience in agriculture/horticulture, international development.
• Good knowledge of computer tools.
• Able to work with multidisciplinary teams in a multicultural and multinational environment.
Job Experience: No Requirements
Work Hours: 8
Level of Education: Postgraduate Degree
Job application procedure
Applicants should submit a letter of application explaining their suitability for and interest in the position along with their curriculum vitae, a recent passport size photograph, names and addresses (including telephone/e-mail) of three professional referees, and date of availability.
Please send applications stating the job title by email to [email protected] by the closing date on 31 July 2021.