Tax Principal Associate
Jobs at:A&K Tanzania (AKT)
Deadline of this Job:
30 September 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
ALN Tanzania | A&K Tanzania (AKT) is a leading full service corporate and commercial law firm based in Tanzania’s commercial capital, Dar es Salaam and is member of ALN, a leading alliance of top-tier independent firms in fifteen countries across Africa. The firm is recognised for its in-depth understanding of the Tanzanian landscape and its ability to provide comprehensive legal advice to local, regional and international clients. A&K Tanzania enjoys the strategic support of its affiliate offices in Kenya (ALN Kenya| Anjarwalla & Khanna LLP (A&K) and the UAE (ALN UAE | Anjarwalla Collins & Haidermota (AC&H).
The firm’s tax experience includes advising clients in connection with tax liability in Tanzania and the region, including advising on efficient tax practices for organisations, providing tax structuring advice, negotiating tax warranties and indemnities, and tax planning for companies amongst other advice.
Tax Principal Associate | Core Responsibilities:
• Developing tax due diligence opportunities on the buy side or sell side (vendor due diligence or vendor assist);
• Delivering the corporation tax content of projects and managing input from other tax colleagues (typically VAT and employment taxes), assessing that input and ensuring inter dependencies across taxes are considered;
• Corporate and Partnership Tax M&A;
• Managing regional tax compliance for international value added taxes (VAT) including the preparation, filing and payment of VAT returns insuring timely and accurate compliance.
• Supporting international income tax compliance;
• Developing a plan and process for identifying potential exposure for VAT for clients;
• Advise clients on compliance risks and provide recommendations to reduce tax related risks;
• Developing opportunities on the back of issues identified through the due diligence process, again working closely with the tax partner/director leading each assignment;
• Writing high quality, professional tax reports, ready for review by the tax Partner;
• Corporate and Partnership Tax M&A;
• Advising private equity, multinational corporations, privately held companies and partnerships on the tax aspects of due diligence, planning, structuring, and executing transactions of all sizes;
Assisting clients in all facets of M&A tax, including but not limited to the following:
1. buy side and vendor tax due diligence;
2. proposed restructuring and acquisition transactions;
3. proposed corporate carve-outs and other disposition transactions;
4. IPO planning;
5. interpretation of complex statutory and regulatory actions relating to corporate and partnership transactions;
6. quantitative analysis to assess the tax consequences of specific transactions;
7. regulatory and legislative initiatives;
8. troubled company restructuring and bankruptcy procedures; and
9. preparation for client review submission requests for private letter rulings and technical advice from the Tax authorities.
• Working with C-Suite executives and senior tax professionals to analyse proposed transactions for unusual tax risks or undetermined tax benefits;
• Advising clients on tax-efficient restructurings, interpreting complex legislative and regulatory actions relating to corporate and partnership transactions;
• Performing financial analysis to assess the tax consequences of specific transactions; and
• Assisting clients with regulatory and legislative initiatives, and prepare for client review submission requests for private letter rulings and technical advice from the Tax authorities.
Qualifications and personal qualities
• At least 5 years experience handling tax matters;
• Minimum Degree Required: Bachelor's degree in Accounting;
• Certification(s) Required: CPA or other relevant qualification;
• Member of the Bar will be an added advantage;
• Experience in thought-leadership;
• Ability to deal well with complexity and ambiguity, including excellent flexibility and adaptability;
• Firm commitment to the highest standards of quality;
• Excellent planning and organisational skills;
• Ability to think with strategic vision and analytical rigour;
• Ability to learn quickly in a highly dynamic and fast-moving environment;
• Excellent emotional intelligence, including empathy, awareness and the ability to develop highly collaborative relationships;
• A skilled influencer and decisive thinker with the courage to raise challenges with credibility and sensitivity;
• Action-orientated, entrepreneurial and innovative; and
• A commitment to A&K’s mission and strong ethical integrity.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 60
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
If your career aspirations match this opportunity, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] referencing this position AKT/PA/21 on or before 12:00pm (GMT) Thursday, 30th September 2021.