Reports to: Senior Manager, Accounting
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and supervision of other department accountants (s)
- Ensuring daily accounting activities are executed with the right ethical practices.
- Perform accounting activities to include financial reports, bank reconciliations, general ledger entries, and other general accounting functions.
- Ensure the document workflow's efficiency within the department from the point request is made, approval, final payment, and reconciliation.
- Maintain, monitor accounts, and finance help-desk to ensure that issues raised by other staff are responded and resolved timely.
- Maintain and reconcile petty cash accounts monthly to be reviewed by the accounting manager.
- Maintain robust financial reports in compliance with organizations’ policies and procedures.
- Responsible for GL entries and accurate record-keeping to support entries and transactions.
- Ensures timely monthly and annual accounting close.
- Resolves accounting issues, concerns, and questions on time to ensure smooth and efficient program operations and reporting.
- Provides monthly accounting reports finance and accounting staff for review.
- Assist in Payroll preparation monthly, payroll reconciliations, and resolving all payroll related issues.
- Reviews vs. prepare monthly reconciliations of all balance sheet accounts
- Trains project accounting staff on HJFMRI procedures and policies
- Assist with the preparation of financial reports for US Government, institutional funders and private donors as needed
- Respond to routine HQ accounting-related inquiries
- Provides support for internal and external audit support
- Review the completeness and accuracy of regional office and country office monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports package submissions, resolve related problems, and provide guidance to the country offices to resolve them as appropriate.
- Maintain vendor files and related accounting records, such as leases and contracts
- Manage accounts payables, receivables, payroll, travel advances, and international wires
- Supports or leads on special projects as needed.
- Any other responsibilities as assigned by the accounting manager, in support of the team.
Knowledge and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field.
- ACCA/CPA (T) is an added advantage
- Five years minimum accounting and auditing experience preferably in a nonprofit or international development environment
- Four years of supervision experience in mid to large accounting department
- Knowledge of and familiarity with accounting systems/packages
- Experience managing staff
- Ability to use good judgment and professionalism; experience in decision-making
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Excel skills and experience with Quick-books accounting software
- Experience with US government regulations a plus
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to meet communicated schedules and deadlines
- Strong skills in internal controls and accounting standards
- Ability to function effectively both autonomously and on complex/sensitive issues and projects.
- High level of professionalism, transparency, and integrity in the overall production of work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in both English and Kiswahili
- Willingness to abide by all ethics and compliance policies of HJFMRI
** BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU BEGIN THE ASSESSMENT FOR THERE IS NEITHER REPEATING NOR RE-APPLYING**
General Overview: This position is responsible for day to day transactional accounting operations of HJFMRI-T operations. The Senior Accountant will serve as a point person for accounting and provide supervision, coaching, and support to program staff and any other junior accountant in the department. He / She is responsible for ensuring compliance with all applicable accounting policies and procedures, laws, and regulations requirements.