Program Officer - GEP
Jobs at:Room to Read
Deadline of this Job:
05 August 2021
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2021 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
Founded in 2000 on the belief that World Change Starts with Educated Children.® Room to Read is creating a world free from illiteracy and gender inequality. We are achieving this goal by providing support during the two most critical time in a child's education: primary school for literacy acquisition and secondary school for girl's education. Our Literacy Program trains and coaches teachers, creates quality books and curricular materials and establishes libraries filled with diverse children's books in local languages that can be enjoyed at school or home. Our Girls Education Program helps girls build skills to succeed in secondary school and make key life decisions by providing life skills curriculum, opportunities for mentorship and peer support, and family and community engagement. Room to Read collaborates with local communities, partner organizations, and governments to test and implement innovative models that can be integrated into the education system to deliver positive outcomes for children at scale. To date, Room to Read has reached 18 million children in 37,000 communities across Bangladesh, Cambodia, Grenada, Honduras, India, Jordan, Laos, Myanmar, Nepal, Rwanda, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam and Zambia, and plans to benefit 40 million children by 2025. Learn more at www.roomtoread.org
Position: Program Officer - GEP
The. Program Officer is a key technical team member who supports the successful implementation of Room to Read's Girls' Education Program (GEP) in Bagamoyo and Kibaha Districts. The Program Officer will primarily be responsible for managing the implementation of GEP's Life Skills Clubs program, which focuses on increasing girls' financial literacy knowledge and skills. This position also provides technical support for other GEP components and activities, including contributing to overall program development and contextualization of global program materials, as well as guiding program implementation, training, monitoring & evaluation, program data collection and entry, general planning, and project reporting. Regular interaction is required with other Room to Read staffs, education officials, partners, school administrators, teachers, parents and students. This position reports to the Girls' Education Program Manager and supervises all. Life Skills Clubs Facilitators in both Bagamoyo and Kibaha.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Organize and oversee the complete process of setting up Room to Read Life Skills
• Clubs for Girls Education Program (GEP) in Bagamoyo and Kibaha Districts
• Collaborate with other Room to Read TZ-GEP staff to design and contextualize Life Skills Clubs Curriculum.
• Identify, engage and assess schools which implement Room to Read's Girls' Education. Program and formulate strategies for Life Skills Clubs implementation
• Schedule and conduct regular meetings with key stakeholders to monitor the girls'
• progress in LS clubs and address issues as they arise.
• Train and supervise GEP School focal teachers/other teachers and Life Skills Clubs Facilitators to ensure that they are able to support the girls and complete their roles effectively.
• Visit project schools as needed to supervise clubs activities at the sites and organize discussions with school key stakeholders and Gather feedback to ensure that schools and communities understand and support clubs activities in their districts.
• Complete detailed and accurate written reports in a timely manner to GEP Program Manager and CO Offices as required.
• Participate in any other activities, which may be required to be undertaken to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
• Collaborate with fellow GEP POs to manage relationships with other NGOs, government officials and local educational facilities/authorities; schedule and attend meetings with them to coordinate planning and implementation of projects.
• Develop and facilitate capacity building trainings for Life Skills Club Facilitators, School focal teachers and Social Mobilizers (SMS), NGOs, Partners representatives, team members, girls, parents and the community at large as may be required.
• Represent Room to Read at relevant meetings.
• Provide regular updates on program activities and plans at regular meetings with TZ
• CO management staff
• Document best practices and lessons learned during field work and share with other project sites, relevant local staff, the Country Director and appropriate Regional and US
• based Global Program Officers
• Collect data and conduct data entry into the system as required
• Participate in developing Quarter and Annual report on timely basis
• Develop and submit Monthly/Quarterly Cash forecast on timely basis
• On monthly basis, develop Field staff fund request and submit expense reports on their behalf Support GEP PM on development/ review of new content modules - contextualization as needed
Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in a related field (Sociology, education, gender, social work,
• community development).
• 3-5 years of relevant work experience.
• Prior experience in planning and facilitating trainings.
• Prior experience coaching or supervising others.
• Good interpersonal skills and a team player.
• Prior experience working with and or counseling adolescent girls. Familiarity with life skills and/or financial literacy skills is preferable.
• Strong organizational and planning skills, including the ability to monitor progress of program implementation.
• Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative.
• Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people.
• Desire and ability to spend a quarter or more time traveling and providing direct support to Life Skills Club Facilitators and Focal Teachers in the schools and communities in which they work.
• Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook.
• Fluency in the local language.
• English fluency.
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
• Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic non-profit organization
• Be an innovative and creative thinker - you are not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
• Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
• Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
• Work well independently as well as part of a team
• Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
Please visit our website at www.roomtoread.org and click on the careers" link under about us tab. This will take you to Room to Read's Career Portal. Click on the See Current Vacancies to find this vacancy, select the vacancy you are interested and click apply to begin the online application process. If you do not hear from Room to Read within one month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Please note that late applications will not be considered, and correspondence will be limited to short-listed candidates only. Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, Women are encouraged to apply. Room to Read is a child safe organization. CLOSING DATE: 05th August 2021.