Child & Youth Development Officer
Jobs at:SOS Children’s Villages
Deadline of this Job:
05 May 2020
Within Tanzania , Dar es Salaam , East Africa
Date Posted: Wednesday, April 22, 2020 , Base Salary: Not Disclosed
The Child and Youth Development Officer is responsible for guiding SOS Youth (within the Village) towards independence, so that they may eventually become self-sufficient, contributing members of society. In achieving this, the Child and Youth Development Officer should be seen as a peer and a role model providing guidance, support and a positive example to the Youth. Planning and Implementing activities within Alternative care program .
Roles & Responsibilities
• Conduct Psychological assessment to the children and youth during the admission process for the wellbeing of their lifetime in the program
• Provides counselling to children and youth to enable them to cope .with their status and find the opportunities within the program
• Provides youth and children with ongoing career counseling and job orientation. Encourages youth to take initiatives in researching career opportunities.
• Identifies and promotes community service opportunities among the youth. Administers the placement of youth in short or long-term programs. Maintains close contact with youth during such programs.
• Encourages youth to take advantage of opportunities which integrate them with the surrounding community, and which expose them to life outside SOS, such as clubs etc.
• Work with Monitoring and Evaluation Officer to make proper follow up on youth’s academic development to schools and guide them through their youth life.
• Conducts regular Psychosocial Assessment and reviews for children and youth (at least half-yearly) and prepare reports which will guide the management on supporting children
• With support from Alternative Care coordinator ensure care plans and youth development plans are developed and reviewed twice a year
• In collaboration with Alterative Care team develop and implement appropriate life skills and entrepreneurship program for children and youth
• Design and implement Children Program activities in line with the age and capabilities
• Support Alternative Care coordinator to develop and implement reunification and integration strategy as per government policies and regulations
• Implement after care plan for integrated children and youth
• Provides guidance and mentorship on academic, career development and behavior change
• Work closely with SOS Mothers to play a significant role in their children’s education, stimulating their interest in learning within the home.
• Conduct home visit and maintain positive relationship with children/youth family of origin
• Organizes educational and extra-curricular activities which the children will find interesting and enjoyable at the village.
• Prepare analytical child’s educational progress report
• Supports and monitors children’s academic performance and formulates strategies for performance improvement Knowledge, skills and abilities
Job Skills: Not Specified
Minimum Recruitment Standards
• Bachelor Degree in in Counselling Psychology, guidance and counselling, Social work from recognized Universities
• Fluent in English and computer literate
• Experience and skills in youth development work is an added advantage
• Passion with children/ youth and ready to work in a busy environment
• At least four (4) years’ experience, working with children and youth environment from NGO’s set up.
• Ability to convince, mentor and coach the youth.
Job Education Requirements: Not Specified
Job Experience Requirements: Not Specified
Work Hours: 8
Job application procedure
To apply for this position, send your application by letter or email describing how your experience, qualifications and competencies make you the right candidate for this position Enclose a detailed updated CV, copies of academic & professional certificates, a passport size photo, telephone contacts and details of at least 3 referees to reach us to:-
The National Director
SOS Children’s Villages Tanzania
P. O. Box 80462 Dar es Salaam, Tanzania